6 - Creative Practicum II
Bachelor's programme in Digital Arts and Practices
Objectives and competences
Students will be acquianted with a variety of creative tools and techniques, which they will be able to use in their work within the key modules. At the same time, the students will learn about various methods and approaches towards a creative assignment or problem.
The student will be able to acquire the following general competences within the module: * development of critical and self-criticaldiscernmentwithin the seminar work and productsanalysis; * ability to use knowledge in practice; * autonomy in professional work; * developmentofcommunicationabilitie and skillswithin the group work.
Fundamental knowledge of fine arts.The basic prerequisite for the student to join the university work is his willingness to be acquainted with tools, skills, regularities and theories related to development of creativity, and to learn how to use them in practice. To do this, the student should at the same time be willing to do independent research and additional independent assignments, especially if the student does not have much pre-knowledge and experience that may be of help in a quality-based advancement of his studies.
The Creative Practicum encompasses the contents which will teach students how to use various methods and approaches to a creative assignment or problem. Thereis a diversity of expressive meanstaught and used within the Digital Arts and Practice programme and the same applies to this module.
The fine artsunits of the Creative Practicum encompass the basics of classical study drawing, perspectives, composition, tonaldrawing and painting, sculpture three-dimensional modelling, as well as visualisation of a story within the comics mode and the shooting script. This type of knowledge will equip students with the fundamentals of fine arts creativity in the classical media, which they will be able to apply to the work within the digital media.
The students will be able to test the key concepts of the fine arts theory within a variety of practical subjects, which they will be able to experience in real practice and master themat an appropriate level of knowledge. For instance, the students will be able to test the elements of colour theories in adigital studio as well as through lectures and demonstrations of the light theory.
The visual deconstruction content unit aims to break up the student's dogmatic acceptance of the principle sunderlying the fine arts theory and practicum, and to encourage them to develop critical and independent judgement. The Creative practicum also includes units that focus on linear narration, including, for example, screenplay writing exercises (for feature and animated films); the major part of the modul's content units are devoted to specific independent fields which make support content units within the Digital Arts programmes, such as stage setting, lighting, graphic design.
The following are obligatory content units for year two: * Screen writing (2 ECTS) * Drawing II (2 ECTS)
Interchangableunits for yearstwo and three:
* Graphic design (2 ECTS)
* Visual deconstruction (2 ECTS)
* Lighting design and stage setting (2 ECTS)
* Scene construction (2 ECTS)
* Creative subversion of the media (2 ECTS)
* Unit by a visiting professor (2 ECTS)
the contents will be taught provided there are atleast seven students attending the course.
Elective contents for years two and three (in agreement with hismentor, the student may choose these contents within the elective contents of other modules - mIv, mDP, nM): * Architecturaldrawing (2 ECTS) * Drawing III (2 ECTS) * Sculpture for animators (2 ECTS)
Intended learning outcomes
- knowledge of the key fine art disciplines, of sculpture and visual arts, as forerunners of digital arts and practices;
- ability to embed new information and interpretations into the context of digital media;
- development of fine arts skills and abilities in applying knowledge in the field of digital arts.
- Barcsay, Jeno: Anatomy for the artist. Octopus Books, 1982.
- Blatnik, Andrej: Šola kreativnega pisanja, Aleph, 1990.
- Butina, Milan: Mala likovna teorija. DEBORA, 2000.
- Butina, Milan: Elementi likovne prakse. MK, 1982.
- Carriere, Jean-Claude in Bonitzer, Pascal: Scenaristova vadnica, CZ, 2000.
- Itten, Johannes: Umetnost barve. Reichmann, 1999.
- Mazzini, Miha: 2 priročnika in 3 scenariji, Triona, 1998.
- McKee, Robert: Zgodba, Umco, 2008.
- Mikuž, Jure: Rehabilitacija barve. V: Mojca Zlokarnik: Mali Benares, Ribnica: Galerija Miklova hiša, 2007.
- Mikuž, Jure: Fizično in duhovno prežarjeni prostor. V: Mojca Zlokarnik: Žarenje, Kostanjevica na Krki, Galerija Božidar Jakac, 2009.
- Muhovič, Jožef: Prispevki za slovenski likovno-teoretski terminološki slovar. V: Likovne besede, št. 39-40 dalje, Ljubljana: ZDSLU, od maja 1997 dalje.
- Pečjak, Vid: Psihološka podlaga vizualne umetnosti, DEBORA 2006.
- Williams, Richard: The Animators Survival Kit, Faber and Faber Ltd 2001.
Practice and group work 70%, Exam 30%
BOŠTJAN POTOKAR is the dean of the School of Arts of University of Nova Gorica. He was the co-founder of Famul Stuart School of Applied Arts. He was its head since 1994 and so the person responsible for managing and operational functioning of the school and all its projects. He also supervised the school's numerous collaborations in Slovenian and international partnerships. He received a diploma from the Academy of Fine Arts in Ljubljana. Boštjan Potokar is a visual artist, exhibiting in diverse simposia and workshops, set designer (together with Rene Rusjan) and an awarded writer-author.
SELECTED PROJECTS AND EXHIBITIONS 2012 – 2007
2012 Chiang Mai Art Centre, Thailand (residency and exhibition)
2011 - Slovenski kulturni praznik - Prešernova proslava 2011 scenografija (skupaj z Rene Rusjan) režija Neda R. Bric, Cankarjev dom, Ljubljana 7. 2. 2011
2010 - Dan upora proti okupatorju - državna proslava, scenografija (skupaj z Rene Rusjan) režija Neda R. Bric, SNG Nova Gorica 26. 4. 2010
2010 - HOMMAGE SEDMA VRSTA - drama treh dejanj v sedmih prizorih (nominacija za izvirno dramsko besedilo, ki naj bi se navdihovalo v ustvarjalnosti in življenju Danila Kiša natečaj je razpisalo Kraljevsko gledališče Zetski dom iz Cetinja za pisce v jezikih držav nekdanje Jugoslavije)
2009 - EDA - Zgodba bratov Rusjan, scenografija (skupaj z Rene Rusjan) gledališka predstava Nede R. Bric, produkcija Slovensko Mladinsko gledališče
University course code: 1DU019
Year of study: 2. year
- prof. Boštjan Potokar
- prof. Boštjan Potokar
- Lectures: 100 hours
Course kind: obligatory support modul
Languages: slovene, english
Learning and teaching methods:
lectures, practice work with individual corrections, group work, seminars, individual consultations, practice exam. the student's independent work: practice to gain drawing routine, home assignments, creation and development of ideas, exam preparation.