2 - Videofilm II
Bachelor's programme in Digital Arts and Practices
Objectives and competences
To acquaint students with the principles and ways of preparing a project in the video and film pre-production stage, considering the order of particular procedures and the principles of creating the production of the product as a whole. The work on an individual or team project is supported by theory, which prepare the students for the next step, as well as by an immediate reflection or an analysis of their work, enabling them to have an optimal and deepened progress.
To acquaint students with the basics of how to incorporate an idea, which in its final form is realised as a product, a video product, into a specific form of expression, so that the idea may achieve an optimal effect in the audiences and perception, whether we deal with an artistic or reproductive field of expression.
General competences obtained by students within the module: * autonomy in professional work; * development of communication knowledge and skills; * ethical reflection and commitment to professional ethics; * cooperative approach, team work.
The prerequisits: knowledge acquired in year one of the programme, and active student participation in all stages and at all levels of the study process, which apart from active attendance at lectures and participation at practice sessions also includes: individual creation and development of ideas (independent and within the active two-way mentor – student communication) – the exchange of ideas occurs on the personal level and via the web system; and a continuous independent work (research, creative and performative) throughout the year.
Videofilm is a term increasingly used in the search for new appropriate terminology. The new terms are needed due to changes brought about by the new technologies. As a form of technology, “video” is a too wide a term, as it covers almost all materials made with the electronic/digital technology; in the programme, we do not touch upon the film as a form of technology at all. Digital film is a too narrow a concept, as it does not include most of the features covered by the term video as an expressive medium.
Within the Digital arts and practice programme, we deal with the video in all its aspects, as it is used as a medium and an expressive tool in the film arts and contemporary visual arts as well as in the numerous media and creative industries. Since on this module's vertical line the emphasis is on the narrational construction, we have termed the modul Videofilm. The other features of the video as an expressive medium, the student will be able to get to know and develop in combination with the other modules and elective contents. In his final year, the student, if he happens to show more interest in the field of contemporary visual arts rather than the film arts, may decide to do his diploma thesis within, or in combination with, the Contemporary art practice modul.
* Getting to know the film art through history and aesthetics.
* creation and characterisation of individual characters in feature principles of film work;
* story structuring and realisation in a non-linear mode of expression;
* image structuring within a specific genre;
* analysis if expression approaches in different genres and forms;
* use of aesthetic and technological tools for specific types of expression.
In the creative assignment, the emphasis is on the form – content connection (not on performative exercises).
Intended learning outcomes
- Ability to plan and produce a multi-layered film or video product;
- ability to discern and critically evaluate film or tv products within the simultaneous production of regular distribution;
- ability to articulate one's critical thinking on and within one's field of work.
- Cook, Pam: Knjiga o filmu, UMCO d.d. 2007.
- Mckee, Robert: Zgodba: substanca, struktura, stil in načela scenarističnega pisanja, UMCO d.d. 2008.
- Jovanović, Jovan: Uvod v filmsko mišljenje, UMCO d.d. 2008.
- Pelko, Stojan: Podoba misli, Študentska založba 2005.
Creative assignment 50%, Theoretical assignment 10%, Practice and team work 30%, Exam 10%
University course code: 1DU015
Year of study: 2. year
- pridr. prof. Boštjan Vrhovec, univ. dipl. rež.
- pridr. prof. Boštjan Vrhovec, univ. dipl. rež.
- Lectures: 120 hours
Course kind: elective key module
Languages: slovene, english, croatian
Learning and teaching methods:
lectures (theoretical foundations), seminar and practical exercises, case studies, historical and contemporary, presentations of concepts, assignments and products in discussions, with the mentor's guidance, team work: on the basis of theoretical contents, specific examples from practice, and practical assignments, group analysis of ideas and projects. student's independent work: creation and development of ideas, research and independent work at seminar and practical assignments; preparation, creation and presentation of one's creative assignment, preparation for assignment defence and the exam.