Assistant professor or associate professor in theoretical semantics and pragmatics (m/f)
The University of Nova Gorica has a vacancy for the position of assistant professor or associate professor in theoretical semantics and pragmatics.
Deadline for applications: 21. 11. 2023
We are looking for candidates interested in pursuing a rewarding research and academic career at the University of Nova Gorica . We offer a dynamic research environment supported by state-of-the-art research equipment and a pronounced international orientation.
The work will be conducted in the Center for Cognitve Science of Language. The successful candidate will join the research group working on a Slovenian Research and Innova-tion Agency-funded project investigating acquisition of minority languages in a multilingual context led by prof. dr. Artur Stepanov. The candidate will contribute to developing theoretical models regarding organization of speakers' semantic and pragmatic knowledge in the context of multilingualism with a focus on negative concord and negative polarity, presupposition projection and focus-sensitive particles that will be used as a backdrop for developing experimental hypotheses testing these phenomena in multilingual speakers. (S)he will also be asked to take over moderate teaching and administrative obligations at the university's linguistics study programs.
The successful candidate will be employed on a full-time basis for a fixed term of six months. Pending budgetary approval, there may be a possibility to renew the contract for one year. The expected start date is February 1st, 2023.
To be considered for the position, candidates should have:
- a PhD in Linguistics with a specialization in theoretical semantics, pragmatics and/or the syntax-semantics interface,
- fulfillment of UNG requirements for election to the title of assistant professor or associate professor, or a valid title of assistant professor or associate professor from another institution,
- expertise in model-theoretic semantics,
- experience in teaching semantics and pragmatics in linguistics programmes at the BA, MA and PhD level,
- a strong publication record in theoretical semantics and pragmatics
- a fluent command of English,
- ability to work independently as well as part of a project team,
- excellent communication skills.
The following will be considered advantages:
- expertise in syntactic theory,
- research experience in topics of cross-linguistic variation and/or multilingualism,
- knowledge of Slovenian at the B2 level.
The following documents must be submitted:
- certificate(s) of education,
- a CV detailing previous research experience and reflecting the fulfilment of the above stated application requirements and, if applicable, advantages,
- list of publications,
- a copy of a representative publication,
- a short research statement,
- names and electronic addresses of two referees that can be contacted for references,
The application deadline is November 21th, 2023.
Please send your application, along with the required supporting materials, to firstname.lastname@example.org .
The application should be sent as a single pdf e-mail attachment.
For additional information regarding the research tasks, please contact prof. Arthur Stepanov at email@example.com.
Tea Stibilj Nemec
phone: + 365 5 6205 822
phone: +365 5 6205 817
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org